Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ethics and Babies...



I ran into this interesting post today when stumbling across the internet. I would simply like to point out the rhetorical argument that is based upon equivocated terms.
Notice first picture. This is not a Chicken? Isn't it? Would this be a Chicken? When does a chicken become a chicken? No one is saying that the fertilized egg is an adult chicken, we're not. Now if the egg is not fertilized then of course it is not a chicken, however if it is, why is it not a chicken?

Now the next picture is of an acorn. Now is an acorn a tree? No, of course not. Better question; is an acorn an oak? By all means. An acorn is an oak but not an "adult" oak.

Okay as to the silk worm, I agree it is not a dress... you got me here. And if left in it's natural habitat it will never be dress. This is simply a red herring meant to obscure the issue.

Now as to the picture of the egg being fertilized, why isn't it a human. Again no one is arguing that a fertilized egg is the same as an adult human, but if an zygote is not a human, is a baby? A teenager? A ninety-five year old man? Or are you holding that only Adults in the prime of life are humans? While a zygote is not an adult it is as human as an adult just as an acorn is just as much of an oak as the tree. Thanks for coming out.

1 comments:

Matthew Lautensack said...

Dear Anonymous,
I am truly sorry you feel this way, however coming from someone unwilling to publish their name along with such words I cannot possible hope that meaningful interaction might come here. However for the sake of others I will seek to understand why it is you hope I die. These are the scenarios I could think of.
Perhaps you are a brother or sister in Christ who misunderstood my argument, and thought I was pro-choice. This however seems unlikely. If that is the case I will try to make my argument clearer for you. However the cruel words are uncalled for and I would ask that you repent.
You could be a brother or sister in Christ who is pro-choice and thinks I am being bigoted because my choice is different than yours and am showing that Christians are intolerant. If that is the case, then please be tolerant of those who hold different views than you. Also as siblings in Christ I would ask that you repent of such harsh words.
The most likely scenario however is that you are an unbeliever who is pro-choice, perhaps to the point of being pro-abortion and would rather have a Red-Herring detract from the argument rather than admitting that this is one of the weakest pro-choice arguments out there, even though it gets a great deal of praise. If this is the case then I wish that you repent and believe the Gospel. That you might turn from your wicked ways and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. However if this is not your desire, then I simply ask that you be respectful when commenting here.

Matthew

The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. - The Apostle Paul