Friday, June 15, 2007

Religion vs. The Gospel - Ready Fight!

Religion says, if I obey, God will love me. The Gospel says, because God loves me, I can obey.

Religion has good people & bad people. The Gospel has only repentant and unrepentant people.

Religion values a birth family. The Gospel values a new birth.

Religion depends on what I do. The Gospel depends on what Jesus has done.

Religion claims that sanctification justifies me. The Gospel claims that justification enables sanctification.

Religion has the goal to get from God. The Gospel has the goal to get God.

Religion sees hardships as punishment for sin. The Gospel sees hardship as sanctified affliction.

Religion is about me. The Gospel is about Jesus.

Religion believes appearing as a good person is the key. The Gospel believes that being honest is the key.

Religion has an uncertainty of standing before God. The Gospel has certainty based upon Jesus’ work.

Religion sees Jesus as the means. The Gospel sees Jesus as the end.

Religion ends in pride or despair. The Gospel ends in humble joy.


Side Note: I just want to note that ‘religion’ is not bad in a biblical sense, see also James 1:27. However, what makes it bad is the prevalent perception that institutions or creeds in conjunction with human works can serve as a portal to heaven rather than a full reliance upon the person and work of Jesus Christ alone.

Grace and Peace.

0 comments:

The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. - The Apostle Paul