Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dangerous Christians...and other Scare Words!!! - Part 1

StumbleUpon is a great tool to find useless information online. However the other day when stumbling across the internet I came across this article on "The Guardian." The title, Some Things Children Should Not be Taught, amused me. Here we are at a liberal website where the only heresy seems to be intolerance being itself intolerant. Ironic how that works. So I read Thomas Prosser's article fully expecting to find something about how teaching children Christianity amounts to their intellectual anathema. I did find that however I found something even more interesting. Thomas writes:
Such figures should make the antennae of secularists twitch, for they suggest that taking on religious faith is often done by minors who are emotionally and intellectually vulnerable to the claims of adult religious authorities.
Did you catch that, Mr. Prosser is suggesting that faith is a result of emotional and intellectual vulnerability. I agree.

Now before you get the stake light the fires allow me to elaborate. Would a Christian have a problem with the following statement:
Such figures should make the antennae of Evangelicals twitch, for they suggest that taking on atheistic prospective is often done by minors who are emotionally and intellectually vulnerable to the claims of adult secular authorities.
Notice anything? Different statistics, same argument. This is the same argument about Christian children turning to atheism that is being used by Ken Ham of AnswersInGenesis.org. Ken argues that the decision is made by middle school concerning how trustworthy the bible is, and the kids are being told it is not trustworthy five days a week and it is on average one or two. He then argues that this decision directly relates to why Christian Children loose their faith in college, perhaps even at Christian schools. But I digress.

My point is that on both fronts, the religious and secular, faith in either, autonomous human reason and its doctrine, or the Bible and its doctrine, is established very early and when children are emotionally and intellectually vulnerable. I do have one question for Mr. Prosser and Mr. Ham, intellectually speaking for what reason ought we not teach, form, and inform a child's emotions and intellect based upon Christan or Secular ideas respectively? I can answer this from the Christian prospective however I have yet to find a persuasive reason to not teach Christian ideas, such as the final judgment, from a secular prospective. Indeed most is empty rhetoric.

... To Be Continued...

2 comments:

Commander MAnDers said...

Hi. You're really smart but sometimes I wish you used an English dialect that I understood.

Matthew Lautensack said...

I'm sorry I do need to work on that.

The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. - The Apostle Paul